What is Horchata?
Horchata is traditionally made with either rice, barley, sesame seeds, ground almonds or tigernuts. The base ingredient is then mixed with sugar, milk, and spices including cinnamon and served cold over ice.
For this recipe, I put a wholefood twist on the traditional drink, making it dairy and sugar free. Plus, I added turmeric and ginger for a little anti-inflammatory boost, and used a base of tigernuts (not actually nuts!) to offer up natural sweetness and a hit of resistant starch for tummy-loving goodness!
- 1 tsp grated turmeric, fresh (1-2 tsp of ground also works)
- 1 tsp grated ginger, fresh
- 1 cup of tiger nuts, soaked in water for 4 hours or more
- ½ vanilla bean, whole
- 1 ½ cups filtered water
- Cinnamon powder to dust
- Drain tigernuts and add them to a high speed blender.
- Add water, ginger, turmeric, and vanilla bean.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour blend into a medium sized pan, and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm with a little cinnamon dusted on top. Or serve icy cold.